Mani Towers

The towers of Mani is a unique in Greece class architectural projects. Results for centuries bastions unique to the species, making them an exemplary fortification of the area of Mani. Impress, and condense in the most unique way the special architecture of Mani and depict moments from the eventful lives of the wealthy and important local families, causing awe the visitor for technical and soundness.

Tower of Mourtzinos – Museum

pirgos-mourtzinon_smThe Museum of the fort complex Troupaki – Mourtzinos the Old Kardamili the municipality West Mani is the first museum – an information station held within the project «Network of Museums Mani» (CSF III).

The Troupaki – Mourtzinis, one of the strongest strains of Mani found in written sources from the 17th century. and command the captains Androuvistas for more than 200 years. Their heirs, Mary and Helen Boukouvalas gave in 1967 in Greek government complex in turn to become museum.

The complex consists of three fortifications within which enclosed the tower, the fortified residence – being, outhouses and the church of St. Spyridon. Besides traces megalithic construction on the base of the walls, which indicate an earlier phase of construction, the core of the band built in different phases from the late 17th to the 19th century.

The Museum’s permanent exhibition is housed in three-storey fortified house – attic. The report includes visual material (maps, prints, drawings, photographs, models) accompanied by general information texts in Greek and English, short keimenolezantes without time, timeline, and a small number of exhibits – real objects. Its aim is to introduce guests of Mani in social structures of the region and their impact on particular architectural character of the place of Late Roman – Early Byzantine to modern times. Particular emphasis is given to the character of the settlements in the post-Byzantine era that defines today physiognomy Mani landscape. From this time he saved most samples architecture associated with local history and social organization of mania, such as complex Troupaki – Mourtzinos.

pirgos-mourtzinon_2smThe report is structured in three sections presented in three levels townhouse. Downstairs presents visual material on the fort complex: its history, the building phases of the functions of spaces, joining the old settlement of Kardamyle, restoration work. Also provides information about the family of Mourtzinos.
Upstairs presents the organization and character of Mani settlements and their evolution in time of the first Christian centuries and megalithic buildings to modern times and the post-revolutionary neoclassical style homes. At the same time given the history – administrative framework of each period. Also presented evidence of living space settlements (threshing floors, benches, grinders, water tanks, salt marshes) and limited exhibits (old Mani tiles, traditional hand mill), related to the economic and professional activities of mania and production processes.

On the second floor are evidence of the social structure of Mani, that the peculiar and strictly organized into genera, how this impacted on their residential environment and sub-regional differences between North and South. Also information about specific types of architectural structures (castles, chateaus, strongholds bands etc.) and for distribution channels in this closed society (cobbled roads, ports, shifts, temples, fountains, the ROUGA). Finally, presented exhibits limited (document, incunabula, reliefs), associated with powerful captains in the area.

Apart from exposure to mezzanine, the band itself operates as an exhibit with the emergence of sites and the particular operation (tower, blacksmith, cistern, kitchen garden, mill, church family). The importance of the museum as a whole is that it is a combination of defensive structures, stately home and plant.

The Tower of Kapetanakis

pirgos-kapetanakilon_smThe Tower of Kapetanakis or Castle Kapetanakis reportedly located in the village newspaper in Sotirianika. The KAPETANAKOU was one of the Mani families as chieftains who were commenced and continued the revolutionary struggle of the Greeks in 1821 against their conquerors.

The building in 1795, is a kind of small, private castle of the family Kapetanakis and typical of Mani’s peculiar social and architectural tradition, which served – most importantly – the purpose of sighting the region.

The building is trapezoidal in plan, following the formation of the ground, has three floors and is surrounded by circular turrets, which adequately supplement the impressive form. The fortified enclosure with a total width of 60 cm and over a hundred battlements strengthened the three corners with projecting towers. The towers are defensive components such as gun-loops and cages.

On the east side is the arched gateway. Entering the gate on the right is the tallest tower of the complex is the main tower of Kapetanaki where you can climb and see over the castle and the Messinian Bay. To the left of the entrance is a circular tower shorter. The two roads buildings of northern and western side served as places of residence with auxiliary storage.

In the inner courtyard in contact with the circular tower – and as with any similar building era – not missing the small church, a single-aisle and dedicated to the Prophet Elijah.

Central precinct and see the stone spouts from two underground tanks who harvested rainwater for water supply of the fortress.

At the entrance of the castle there is a desecrated tomb still contained human bones, where it refers to any information on it.

 Tower Koumoundouros

pirgos-koumoundourou_smTower Koumoundouros with built windmill in the village Garmpelias village Campos built (after 1830) of stone, has defensive-above all – nature.

This is the Tower Captain Koutifari and later Captain Koumoundouros or Koumountouraki (later Bey of Mani and his ancestor Alexander Koumoundouros), which the Turks besieged the castle, was arrested and killed in Istanbul. Has linked his reputation mainly to the fact that it was the homestead of Alexander Koumoundouros (there and bust), for many years Prime Minister of Greece, during the post-revolutionary years.

Next to the tower is Koumoundouros the Mycenaean tholos tomb Machaon (son of Asclepius) of 1250 BC, and the Castle Zarnata.

Tower Kitriniari – Xanthea

pirgos-kitriniari_smThe Tower of Kitriniari-Xanthea is located on a hill feature rocks at an altitude of 700m in the offshore boundaries. The tower is a typical fortified house (townhouse) in the 18th century. When the area was full of life and movement of people were walking and animals, the tower – because of its strategic position – controlled the crossings and dominated the gorge.

It is built with stones from local limestone, with partial use imilaxefton stones openings. In its present form consists of a three-story tower, a square ground plan and a bunk proktisma, rectangular plan. The floors between the floors were wooden, and the coverage was done with wooden gable roof, which survives today.

It has three floors with several battlements on all four sides. The arch-shaped windows, the stone fence and arched his door complement this historic building is an interesting example of pre-revolutionary fortification Mani.

 Tower Douraki

pirgos-douraki_smTower Douraki located on Chestnut and has linked his reputation with Theodore Kolokotronis, as there had found refuge during the persecution of thieves (1803-1806).

This is a multi-storey tower of the 18th century, reflecting the traditional architecture of Mani, enriched with graphic gun-loops and defensive battlements. Was the residence of the legendary Captain Douraki of Chestnut and stands for the four turrets, circular shape.

 

 

Tower Patriarcheas
The Tower of the patriarch-featured as a Historical Monument – located in Prosilio and falls and he turn to the well known traditional architecture of Mani. With roughly square plan, is a large building height, made ​​of local stone in three or four different levels. The defense – mostly – character of the tower and its windows offer valuable insights into the troubled-historic-district and long-term struggles.

Tower Kapitsinou
The tower is located in village of northwestern Dell Mani.
Built in the 19th century, exemplifying five storey polemopyrgou prerevolutionary period. Characterized by simplicity in morphology, square-roomed plan, small openings, a main arched entrance is protected by two ntoufekistres both sides and the war equipment, with many ntoufekistres to all floors and at different heights, the four cylindrical corner cages and the rectangular cage in the middle of the eastern side of the parapet of the roof. The stories are separated with two stone arches (the third and last level) and three wooden floors in the other levels. The tower was covered with a roof of tall parapet walled (parapet) 2.40 m it is protected by warriors. Unique decorative, simple stone belt in the middle of the parapet of the roof and a carving board to smear the south side, at the height of the fourth level.

Tower Christeas

pirgos-xristea_sm

 

 

In the center of the village of Agios Dimitrios imposingly tower of Captain Christodoulos user, chieftain of the area, who the lads he participated in the liberation of Kalamata.

 

 

 

 

Tower Oikonemea
The Tower Oikonomea in the Lagada settlement is built in 1757 and has been classified as a historical monument, with protection zone 5m. around him, as is characteristic of the sovereignty of the towers in Mani and local architecture. The tower is three-storey quadrangular. Its walls are drilled by battlements. Windows with arched frames were mainly located on the upper floor, while the west side is a sun lounge with a stone staircase inside the tower through a small arched door.

Tower Anastasiou Goudeli
The three-storey tower located in Anastasiou Goudeli Karyovouni and is classified as a historic monument protection zone of 15 meters around him. Has a square plan and masonry consisting of semi-hewn stones with traces of coating and the outer side.
The windows are arched with limestone panels and ceramic film in arcs, its surface divided battlements.
According to the architecture, masonry and individual morphological evidence Tower dates from the 18th century.

Tower with dwelling, alleged property Dionysius Chousou
Located in the suburb and has been designated by the Ministry of Culture as a historic monument, because it is a typical example of architecture of the settlement of the early 19th century.
This Tower with dwelling rectangular, which is divided into two height levels and crowned by four-sided wooden stegi.To ground covered with semicircular dome. The masonry consists of rectangular blocks of local limestone in the pseudo-isodomic.
Unique decorative element of the building is of stone reliefs folklore impeller head, above the window of the north side, which is found in many sites in the region, secular and religious, dating from the early 19th century until the liberation period in which placed the construction of the Tower with dwelling.

Tower Ketseas
Located on Lower Deception and is – almost – square polemopyrgo whose survives today only basis. The masonry of the tower consists of rubble bonded with lime mortar, while sporadically inserted fragments of tiles. The edges of the building have been used carved stones, while more elaborate is the south side on walls which have been used imilaxeftoi stones.
Tower Ketseas visited the French Scientific Expedition of Morea, while according to the oral tradition of the people there had also hosted before the Revolution Christopher Perraivos, envoy of the Friendly Society.
The above polemopyrgos, built in the end of Ottoman rule, an important element of the history of the settlement of Top sail halyards during the prerevolutionary period.

Tower Derezea
Located on the chamber and is owned Happiness Tubas – Gold and Panagiotis Malama. Characterized as a historical monument because it represents a remarkable construction of scientific and historical interest important to the design of the architecture of Mani towers in the 19th century.

Sources: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/1/gh151.jsp?obj_id=14681, http://listedmonuments.culture.gr/