Tombs of the Dioscuri, Kardamili
The tombs of the Dioscuri, of Castor and Pollux, the mythical children of Leda – Queen of Sparta and Zeus – father of the gods, are – according to the description of Strabo – carved in a rock, in the Kardamile.
Visitors who want to see their graves today, we must follow the path of the Old Kardamili to the area of Agia Sophia. After a journey of about ten minutes, you will reach two tombs are carved into the rock.
Not allowed inside the tombs.
Castle Zarnata, Stavropigio
Castle Zarnata, called otherwise Koumoundouraki Castle, built by the Turks during the mid 17th century. Castle fled the captain of the cruciform, Panagiotis Koumoundourakis, fourth bey of Mani in 1803, when deposed and moved against the new bey Anthony Grigorakis, Turks and all other captains of Mani.
The surrounding curtilage has been built on prehistoric citadel wall – probably the CONS. Traces polygonal wall of large hewn stones in the mounting points.
Inside the castle there Zarnata post Byzantine church of St. Nicholas, built, probably in the second Venetian occupation. St. Nicholas was superseded and built by locals in the middle of the castle, the church of the Life-Giving Spring, in 1776.
Acropolis of ancient Leuctra remains of the Frankish castle built by William Villehardouin in 1250 AD Castle Lefktrou or Beaufort (nice castle) stands on a hill between Stoupa and Lefktro has oval shape with a perimeter of 300 meters. and stand out for their well-fortified, and the loveliness of. Ceded to the Byzantines in 1262, in exchange for the release of prisoner William, who was captured in 1259 at the Battle of Pelagonia.
Shift (Observatory) Demeter Kardamili
The Shift cerium is in Kardamili and is classified as a historic monument protection zone around 100m.
Built on a low hill, is castellated stone building of rectangular plan and small dimensions. The masonry is rubble and only the edges of the building is of hewn limestone.
The building – which was a military observatory defensive – dates to the 18th century.
Krini, Kato Doloi
Is classified as a historical monument with a surrounding area of radius 50m. Chronologically placed in the last years of Ottoman rule. Its facade is formed by three arches, which are based on pilasters with capitals, built with stones and imilaxeftous powerful hydraulic mortar, while the front of the cabin with water is carved into the rock. In one of the arches in the front section and a rectangular recess which is formed in a considerable height, traces of painted decoration.
Krini, named «Jewish well,» Thalames
Featured Historical Monument with a surrounding area of 10 meters. The fountain is located in the village center. Consists of one – rectangular – built water tank, also with a built facade, which are two arches supported on pillars. Flanking the eastern arc are walled illegible inscription on the west and east parts of an ancient column. According to the date of the inscription, the construction of the fountain is placed in 1714.
It is a green island, opposite the beach Kardamyle. The Ministry of Culture has declared the church St. Nicholas, commonly known as the Church of the Dormition and fortress complex located on the island Merope as a historical monument, with protection zone throughout the island.
The church is a single, domed, and stone built. Contact the church extends – Two floors – large stone building. The outside of the building and the outer side of St. Nicholas are part of the wall, which protects the island.
The fort complex is dated to the 18th century.
Its construction began in 1904 under Mayor Elias Katsakou-Mavromichali in order to unite Sotirianni the village Altomira. Manufacturers-contractors were brothers Nicholas and Stassinos Stavrianeas while two PELEKITA stone was Panagiotis and Constantine Afentakis from Altomira. Consists of 75 turns, of which 30 have a 70% slope. The engineer Panagiotis Afentakis undertook the construction of 40 rpm, while the other 35 were created with the personal work of local residents. Especially in the position to Root Down Rahul stands out for its excellent architecture. The stones used are all carved with hammer and chisel. The date 1928, engraved on a stone path leads us to the conclusion that it completed the task.
The trail is easily accessible, since until the beginning of one can go by road. Starts at piney hillside above the church of St. Nicholas and takes about 2.5 hours to walk down.
Walking up the path, visitors can enjoy the beauty of nature and the magnificent view of the Messinian gulf. The Alpine Club of Kalamata organized very often hikes the trail.